Since the early 1990s there have been a number of phases in drug strategies & action plans which have been released by State governments in Western Australia (WA). There have been important differences in policies released, such as the political party which was in power at a particular time & the extent to which a government emphasised a broad approach encompassing all types of drugs or instead focussed on particular drugs or specific issues. The following listing of key documents is to assist in constructing the policies that were developed in successive phases.
Click here to view a list of the names & dates of the political parties which have held government in WA from December 1890 (when the state obtained responsible government from being British colony) to identify the context when each inquiry was held.
View or download specific publications by clicking on the relevant link below.
Reports produced since 2005 are presently available from the Drug & Alcohol Office website here.
Alcohol & Drug Authority: 1990 - 1997
- Strategic Plan 1990-1993 [856k]
- Drug Strategic Plan 1994-1997 [1.9 MB]
Department of Health: 1993 - 2003
- Drug strategy 1999 - 2003 [3.1 MB]
WA Strategy Against Drug Abuse: 1997 - 2001
The WA Strategy Against Drug Abuse was officially described as Together Against Drug & was implemented by the Liberal-National Party government (Premier Richard Court) which was in power from February 1993 to February 2001. This strategy was overseen by the WA Drug Abuse Strategy Office (WADASO).
- Action Plan 1997-1999 (June 1997) [108k]
- Action Plan 1997-1999: Update (June 1998) [12k]
- Action Plan 1999-2001 (June 1999) [320k]
- Action Plan 1999-2001: Framework [12k]
- Action Plan 1999-2001: Key developments (Nov 1999) [12k]
- Action Plan 1999-2001: What's in place (Nov 1999) [12k]
- Action Plan 1999-2001: Activity & outcome measures 1999/2000 (May 2001) [40k]
- Action Plan 1999-2001: Activity & outcome measures 1999/2000 - Statement by Minister (February 2001) [32k]
WA Drug & Alcohol Strategy: 2002 - 2005
The WA Drug & Alcohol Strategy was officially described as Putting People First & was implemented by the Australian Labor Party (ALP) government which was in power from February 2001 to September 2008. The Putting People First slogan was articulated under the Premiership of Dr Geoff Gallop. This strategy was overseen by the Drug & Alcohol Office (DAO).
- Strategy 2002-2005 (August 2002) [156k]
- Strategy 2002-2005: Update (November 2004) [740k]
Agency Action Plans: 2003 - 2005
A total of 10 agency action plans were released in May 2003 produced by:
- Drug & Alcohol Office (DAO) [244k]
- Department for Community Development (DCD) [87k]
- Department of Education & Training (DET) [354k]
- Department of Housing & Works (DHW) [379k]
- Department of Indigenous Affairs (DIA) [433k]
- Department of Local Government & Regional Development (DLGRD) [252k]
- Department of Health (DOH) [420k]
- Department of Justice (DOJ) [306k]
- School Drug Education Project (SDEP) [950k]
- WA Police Service (WAPS) 188k]
Area Drug & Alcohol Plans: 2003 - 2005
In May 2003 a total of 10 area drug & alcohol plans were released by DAO for each of the DOH's 10 Health Regions:
- East Metro Health Region [64k]
- Great Southern Health Region [65k]
- Kimberley Health Region [64k]
- Midwest-Murchison Health Region [68k]
- North Metro Health Region [63k]
- Pilbara-Gascoyne Health Region [66k]
- South East Coastal-Goldfields Health Region [66k]
- South Metro Health Region [64k]
- South West Health Region Health Region [60k]
- Wheatbelt Health Region [61k]
WA Drug & Alcohol Strategy: 2005 - 2008
This version of the WA Drug & Alcohol Strategy was developed by the ALP government under the premiership of Alan Carpenter, who suceeded Geoff Gallop as Premier in January 2006. In this phase the previous 'Putting People First' slogan adopted by the ALP when it first came to government in February 2001 was discontinued.
- Volatile Substance Use Plan 2005-2009 (May 2005) [256k]
- Drug & Alcohol Action Plan 2005-2009 (August 2005) [1.1MB]
- Drug & Alcohol Strategy 2005-2009 (November 2005) [601k]
- Aboriginal Plan 2005-2009: Strong Spirit Strong Mind (November 2005) [589k]
- Alcohol Plan 2006-2009 (June 2006) [526k]
- Alcohol Plan 2006-2009: Summary [315k](June 2006)
Alcohol Plans: 2004 - 2009
The WA Alcohol Plan 2006-2009 was released by the Drug & Alcohol Office in 2006. The following publications are associated with the 2006-2009 alcohol plan:
- Community consultation (October 2004) [PDF 222kb]
- 2006-2009 Alcohol Plan - Main report [PDF 526kb]
- 2006-2009 Alcohol Plan - Summary [PDF 315kb]
Drug & Alcohol Interagency Strategic Framework: 2011 -2015
This version of the Drug & Alcohol Strategy, described as the Drug & Alcohol Interagency Strategic Framework, was developed by the Barnett Liberal government elected in September 2008 & was released in August 2011.
Click here to view or download a PDF version (2.0MB) of this publication, which is presently available from the Drug & Alcohol Office website.